Weight: 128 grams
The Saddle Seapost Combo
Well, This was a bit of a challenge to make. First I started by making a model of the seat part, out of foam insulation from Home Depot (pink stuff seemed good) using my SLR as reference, and making the shape more to my liking, like the narrow nose portion. After the the seat looked good, I got some plaster from the craft store, and mixed it up and poured it into a plastic bag lined box. Then I put the foam saddle into the plaster upside down to create a negative mold of the seat. When that was dry I took the foam out, clean up the rough edges then took a break. Then I put a sheet of plastic wrap on the plaster so the carbon wouldn't stick. For the carbon, I just wetted some precut sheets with the mixed epoxy (again from Home Depot) and layed them on the plaster mold in, first, one bigger sheet to be the ouside to cover the whole saddle, then a few more layers, to make sure I had enough. Then putting the foam mold in a plastic bag, I pushed it into the plaster mold to compress it. I put some heavy stuff on top to keep it compressed then waited for it to harden. A couple of hours. Note: I did put some floor wax on the plastic bags to prevent sticking. For the Post, I screwed up the angle, as the saddle tilts up too far, but, I took a carbon sleeve and some more layers of carbon sheet and wrapped them around a copper pipe that was slightly smaller that my seat tube and wrapped that in plastic wrap then tightly with tape. I left some carbon overhang on the tube to mount to the seat. While everthing was still wet I put the post on the seat, put some more reinforcement carbon around the joint and tried to get the angles right(didn't). Then Held it place with something (can't remember, was a while ago) untill it was hard. Then sanded everything smooth and to make it fit into a USE Alien seatpost shim to fit in my seat tube. Note: every thing needed sanding, and the saddle part needed a lot of sanding, cutting to shape and Bondo to smooth it all out. Then I painted everything and added some clearcoat to make it shiny.
Well I tried it once up the block,and it seemed to hold my weight (155
Lbs) But have not ridden it since because it scares me, so it's just
a "showpiece" now.
No I don't have any special training in anything other than art, so don't think this is the correct way to do anything, this is just how I did it.
|Back to pics|